MEDICINE DRUM – A Saturday class – 4 sessions (Schedule any four consecutive Saturdays, each a 3 hour session)
A Eight sided drum based on the Indigenous style of the Native American Drum is constructed with Pine, and headed with a Goat Skin.
- You will learn to construct your frame and how to prepare it for heading.
- A lacing technique to stretch the skin onto the drum head is used.
- You will create your mallet or beater.
This drum takes 12 hours to complete, and construction is made up of three, 3 hour sessions.
Cost is $450 for instruction and materials.
CONTACT US for next scheduled class sessions or to arrange your own custom class to Learn the Craft. (Studio is closed June – August)
HOOP DRUM – Wood – Learning the craft – Ground up
– 8 or 12 sided, approx 14” or 22” wide – these drums are built in sections, based on a old traditional style from North Dakota, I have found it to be wonderfully resonant, a great meditation drum, ceremonial quality in timbre. In this class you will learn about angle cuts for the frame, construction and finishes on your frame, type of hide, how to cut and lace for the head, tuning and making your drum mallet.
Time required: Total 12 hours
Day one – making your frame – 3 – 4 hours
Two days later – finishing the frame and preparing the hide – 4 hours
Two days later – attaching the hide and making the mallet. – 4 – 5 hours
Approximately 12 hours of studio time and instruction
Commitment is a time spanning over 5 days. Can be broken up over a week or two.
Cost $450 this includes, studio time, instruction, all materials.
Fees are paid 14 days prior to scheduled class.
HOOP DRUM – Wood – Partially constructed, Frame ready
– Heading a hoop that has already been constructed for you.
8 or 12 sided, approx 14” or 22” wide, these drums are built in sections, based on a old traditional style from North Dakota, I have found it to be wonderfully resonant, a great meditation drum, ceremonial quality in timbre.
In this class you will learn how to treat your wood frame to prepare it for attaching the head, what type of hide to use, how to cut and lace for the head, tuning and making your drum mallet.
Time required: Total 10 hours. Two full days – 10am to 4pm – days do not have to run concurrently.
Cost $450 this includes your constructed frame, studio time, instruction, all materials
FRAME DRUM – Wood
16” or 18” Frame Drum, this drum has a circular maple frame which is pre-constructed. Create a finish on your Maple frame. You will learn what skins to choose for the best quality in sound for this very specific drum, Frame drum is know for its haunting quality. How to attach a skin and trim and finish.
Time required: 10 hours. Two full days 10am – 4pm
Fees paid 14 days prior to scheduled class
Email Lorna to Schedule your session